Chicken and Apricots
Recipe type: Entree
Chicken and Apricots is a Moroccan food recipe of spiced stew served with couscous.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- pinch saffron
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 cup dried apricots, soaked in water overnight
- couscous, prepared
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, chopped onion and garlic, and saute 4 to 6 minutes, or until chicken pieces have begun to brown on all sides and onions are soft.
- Pour about 1 cup of water into pot and add sliced onions, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, and saffron. Stir well. Add more water until chicken is just covered.
- Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, or until chicken is tender and cooked all the way through.
- Remove chicken pieces to a platter. Add honey and apricots to the pot, stir well and simmer 15 to 20 minutes more, or until sauce begins to thicken. Return chicken to pot and heat through.
- Serve hot, with couscous.