Recipe type: Soup
Harira is a Moroccan food recipe of meat and lentil soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lb lean chicken or lamb, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cup chicken stock
- ¾ cup dried red lentils, soaked overnight
- 16 oz can tomatoes, chopped,
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ¾ cup canned chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup angel hair pasta, broken up
- 1 egg, beaten with juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon, cut into thin wedges
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add meat and saute 5 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Add garlic, onions, celery, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper, and salt. Stir well and saute 5 minutes longer. Remove meat to a platter and set aside.
- Add stock to pot and bring to a boil. Drain lentils and rinse well. Add lentils and meat to pot. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, and parsley. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. If soup looks too thick, add 1 cup water.
- Add chickpeas and pasta. Simmer 20 minutes, or until all ingredients are tender. Stir in beaten egg and lemon juice, cook 1 minute longer, and serve immediately.
- Garnish with lemon wedges, cilantro, and parsley.