Recipe type: Entree
Shakshouka is a Moroccan food recipe of eggs poached in tomatoes and spices.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 green bell pepper, grilled, skinned, cut into thin strips
- Heat oil and cook onions in a frying pan until golden brown.
- Add all the ingredients except the eggs and pepper strips. Simmer until the vegetables are reduced to pulp, about 20 minutes.
- Make four indentations in the vegetables and carefully break an egg into each one.
- Cover the frying pan and cook over low heat until eggs are well set. You can also scramble the eggs in the indentations. This dish can also be baked in the oven.
- Garnish each serving with strips of green pepper.